Thursday, January 7, 2010

Reasons Not to Get a Dog in 2010

In an effort to appear balanced, I would like to discuss the flipside of my post from Dec 29th: Reason to Get a Dog in 2010.

So, here goes. Why NOT to get a dog:

1 – MUD.

I live in LA where it NEVER rains and yet, there’s mud in my yard. It may have to do with Stoli being a Husky with a penchant for digging, but wiping paws six or seven times a day plus two baths a week is a major burden. No, not baths for me. I promise I take one daily.


2 – Exercise.

Dogs need loads of exercise. If you’re sedentary (apparently I was), this is a real issue.


3 – Hair.

Yeah. It’s everywhere and on everything. I thought cat hair was pervasive - its got nothing on dog hair. Vacuuming everyday and lots of sweeping / dusting / wiping is required.


4 – Commitment.

Having a dog is akin to having a child. It constantly needs to be watched, fed, and played with. Forget spontaneously taking off for the weekend. You need to plan for a sitter, er, kennel.

(yes, this is actually my dog)


Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great thing to be a dog owner. Ah, look at that face.

Just be prepared before making that buying decision.

2 comments:

  1. I'm LOL-ing at number 2. And yeah, we go away for weekends all the time. Thus, no dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could show this to my husband and he STILL wouldn't be convinced! sigh.

    I was convinced after....ok well BEFORE reason one. LOL

    Too bad your pup is SUPER cute though.

    ReplyDelete