Thursday, August 12, 2010

Addiction Distraction

This post is a little off topic, but that’s okay. Deciding in which direction this blog should go is not at the top of my priority list at the moment. The feeling my head has been cleaved in half by a very dull and rusty axe is. Caffeine withdrawal sucks.

I’m not sure if any of you have problems with addiction, but I certainly do. To be clear, I’m not a toothless wonder hobbling down dark alleys scrounging for my next hit of crack or anything. I just have a severe penchant for caffeine. And with me, I don’t just like something, I LOVE it.

Doctors have told me I should quit. Ha! Right. Me, the coffee aficionado, the three-Diet-Cokes-a-day connoisseur, the Excedrin extraordinaire, me? Good luck with that.

So, instead of conquering the universe on the wings of my violet pegasus or storming the castle with my laser-beam assault rifle, I’m loathing my very existence struggling not to give in to the temptation that is Diet Coke. Wish me luck and send me good-writing vibes. Peace.

4 comments:

  1. I sure hope you're trying to taper off and not going "cold turkey." The trick is to drink a little less each day, and taking the time to wean yourself off. It's much like following a sensible diet and losing a couple pounds a week.

    I love coffee, and at times when I've weaned myself off, I just drank the same number of cups to start, but simply filled them with less coffee. You have to be disciplined about it, but it is the easiest way to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, me too! It's all about the coffee. I just found Iced coffee pods for my Keurig 1 cup coffee maker and have been on overload for a week. I am totally all about the iced vanilla sugar free latte. I sympathize with you and know that you will conquer on your violet pegasus!!! Hugs, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - Cold turkey is suicide. No way. I took your advice and tapered down my caffeine dosage and now I'm caff-free!

    Michael - Thanks. Maybe I should take a cue from Lance Armstrong and make some bracelets. How does aquamarine suit you?

    ReplyDelete